Energy Performance Certificates & Green Deal Assessments

As part of the FIT appication process your Energy Company will need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for your home or property


For the FIT to be paid at the higher level then your house must be rated band D or above.

What Is An Energy Performance Certificate

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) contains information about how energy is used in a home or a business premises, along with details of how much the energy used actually costs.


An EPC is a legal requirement in certain situations such as selling or renting a property and needed when applying for either the Feed In Tariff or Renewable Heat Incentive.


When calculating the energy efficiency of a building the most important elements are:


  • The age of your house.

  • The fabric of your walls.

  • The efficiency of your boiler or heating system and heating controls

  • The level of insulation in loft and walls


We feel it is important for you not to enter into any contract for a pv system untill you know the banding of your property as that can substantially affect the amount of Feed In Tariif you will receive.

There are properties that will not get a Band D unless major works are carried out such as exterior wall insulation or a new boiler.  There are others that only need minor improvements such as loft insulation or installing LED lights.


At MMS we are Domestic Energy Advisers qualified to carry our Energy Performance Certificates. So as part of the process we will carry out an Energy Performance Certificate before entering into acontract.

This is the only way you will know for sure the energy rating of your home.


If at that point it turns out your home is not a Band D or better and you decide not to proceed there is no charge for the Energy Performance Certificate.


More information

You can read mor

e about the Feed-in Tariffs and use Solar Energy Calculator on Energy Saving Trust's website: